Mali, Burkina Faso & Ghana with Timbuktu
This expedition has no scheduled departures at this time.
Our 15-day Mali, Burkina Faso & Ghana expedition, with Timbuktu, aims to introduce you to several of the unique ethnic groups that reside in this stunning region, which spreads from the Sahara Desert in the north to the Atlantic Ocean to the south. By private aircraft, we wing our way to meet the Tuareg, Timbuktu’s exotic Blue Men of the desert; the Gouruonsi people; and the Ashanti, who will be celebrating Akwasidee, the culmination of their 42-day religious calendar, while we are there. During our Ghana expedition, wander through West Africa’s largest open-air market, as well as a forest canopy in search of elephants and antelopes.
Mali, Burkina Faso & Ghana Expedition Highlights:
- Mali, Burkina Faso, and Ghana adventure travel by private aircraft, enabling us to journey to the most remote corners of West Africa with minimal delays.
- 4x4 vehicle travel on the land, taking us from vast open fields to lush rain forests in search of resident wildlife.
- The ancient adobe city of Djenné, claiming to be the oldest city in West Africa, and its enormous red mud mosque.
- Picnic lunch in Dogon Country, with a Dogon mask performance; dancers wear elaborately carved masks up to ten feet in height.
- Visit to the haunting grounds of Elmina Castle as part of our Ghana tour; this was one of the most important stops on the Atlantic slave trade route.
What to expect:
Mali, Burkina Faso, and Ghana adventure travel is one of the most intrepid programs we offer and, as such, is for experienced travelers only. We ask that you be reasonably fit and able to walk unaided over rough ground; several days will include driving long distances on poorly maintained roads and some off-road travel in four-wheel-drive vehicles. The weather should be dry during October and November, making it an optimal time for Mali, Burkina Faso, and Ghana expeditions; daily temperatures will range from 75°F to 95°F. Bring a sense of humor and an adventurous spirit and you will gain much from this remarkable travel experience.
Archaeology, Culture, History, Photography, Wildlife & Nature