Tracing the West Coast of Africa
This expedition has no scheduled departures at this time.
Sail in the wake of explorers and traders on this West Africa adventure travel tour. Visit historic ports of call rich in local culture and colonial architecture, as well as pristine natural areas where we search for the abundant animal and bird life that call this region home. Highlights include the lush volcanic islands of Príncipe and São Tomé, the vibrant markets in Benin and Togo, and, during our Ghana tour, Africa’s only suspended walkway, in Kakum National Forest. Visit Abidjan in the Ivory Coast known as the “Paris of West Africa” and Sierra Leone’s beautiful beaches.
Tracing the West Coast of Africa adventure travel highlights include:
- Visit three UNESCO World Heritage Sites—Cape Coast Castle, Ghana; James Island, The Gambia; and Gorée Island, Senegal—as part of this West Africa tour.
- Search for island endemics on Príncipe and São Tomé such as the Príncipe sunbird and the São Tomé green pigeon.
- Experience a traditional voodoo ceremony in Togo and browse the talismans and potions in the fascinating fetish market.
- Explore Abuko Nature Reserve in The Gambia, where more than 290 bird species have been recorded.
- Cruise through Ganvie, Africa’s largest lake village, built of wood and thatch houses on teak stilts.
With Zegrahm Expeditions, virtually everything is included in the cost of your trip. Here is what you can look forward to on this West Africa expedition:
- All gratuities, from porters and ship’s crew to tour guides
- All accommodations, including pre-voyage hotel nights
- Welcome dinner and orientation briefing to get to know one another and get a good sense of what’s to come
- Daily activity options, from visiting local markets to birding excursions
- World-class lecture and expedition team
- All meals onboard and with the group ashore
- All entrance fees, taxes, and landing and port charges
- All transfers on the group arrival and departure days
- Gift certificates for recommended expedition gear and reading materials
- Comprehensive pre-departure packet to prepare you for your West Africa tour, with everything from currency information and weather to shipboard amenities and a packing list
- Medical and emergency evacuation insurance
- Dedicated Zegrahm program manager and air coordinator to answer all your questions
- Photographic journal upon returning home to relive your West Africa adventure travels
Birding, Culture, History, Photography, Wildlife & Nature