- Our Expeditions
- Expedition Travel
- Expedition Travel
- Small Ship Cruises
- Overland Adventures
- Flight Programs
- Expedition Activities
- Why Zegrahm
- Private Travel
- Traveler Info
Uganda: A Trekking Adventure
Sorry. There are no scheduled departures for this expedition.
Join us for this inaugural Uganda trekking expedition, as we search for primates, hippos, Nile crocodiles, bountiful birds, and the majestic mountain gorilla. With the active traveler in mind, we explore the many treasures of the region during hikes, cruises, game drives, and rafting with our expert guides Jonathan Rossouw and Simon Bellingham. The centerpiece of our Uganda tour is surely our time in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, where wehike in search of the park’s several family groups of mountain gorilla; once contact is made, we are allowed to spend one hour—at ranges as close as 15 feet—in their presence. Our trekking expedition ends with an action-packed trip down the Nile—a high-energy finale to a spectacular journey.
Uganda Adventure Travel Highlights:
- Queen Elizabeth National Park, with a cruise along the Kazinga Channel, one of Africa’s best birding locales and a favorite of our Uganda tour guide, Jonathan Rossouw.
- Hike through Kibale National Park, home to the highest concentration and diversity of primates in Africa; we stay in a luxurious lodge centered between two crater lakes.
- Accommodations at the luxurious tented Gorilla Forest Camp, as a jumping-off point for two full days in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
- Kajjansi and the Mabira Forest trekking, boasting over 300 species each of birds, butterflies, and insects, and three primate species.
- True Uganda adventure travel, with white-water rafting on the Nile, through rapids from Grade III to V.
What to expect:
Uganda trekking adventure travel requires its participants to be fit and capable of hiking along forest trails that are often steep and muddy; some of our hikes are up to eight miles in length. During our trekking expedition, some days will be long, involving rides in 4x4 vehicles over bumpy roads—sometimes up to 10 hours. Accommodations throughout will be in safari lodges featuring spacious rooms, hot water, and en suite facilities. Bring a healthy spirit of adventure and a flexible attitude to your Uganda tour and you’ll gain much from this profound natural history experience. A recommended reading and packing list will be sent to your five months prior to departure.
Birding, Hiking & Trekking, Photography, Wildlife & Nature