Antarctica's Ross Sea
This expedition has no scheduled departures at this time.
A once-in-a-lifetime Antarctica expedition, our month-long Ross Sea tour combines the sub-Antarctic islands of New Zealand and Australia with 24 hours of continuous daylight and the most majestic of all penguins, the emperor penguin, in the Ross Sea. Here, we spend ten days searching for these lords of Antarctica, regarded as the most difficult to see in their natural habitat, as well as the elusive Ross seal. We hope to land, ice-dependent, on Cape Adare, Cape Hallet, and Terra Nova Bay. Join us as we meet the Campbell Island teal, the majestic southern royal albatross, yellow-eyes penguins, and more on this Ross Sea adventure travel expedition.
Ross Sea Expedition highlights include:
- Helicopter flightseeing over the Dry Valleys, if weather permits; this region is one of the world’s most extreme deserts and a hallmark of true Antarctica adventure travel.
- Travel aboard the Kapitan Khlebnikov for its penultimate voyage; on board Nigel Watson, Director of the Antarctic Heritage Trust, enlightens us on the efforts to save historic expedition bases.
- Some of the most stunning seabird life of our Antarctica tour, on Campbell Island: see southern royal and light-mantled sooty albatross.
- Macquarie Island, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and home to three million royal penguins and 100,000 king penguins.
- The uninhabited Balleny Islands, straddling the Antarctic Circle, and home to Adelie and chinstrap penguins.
What to expect:
An Antarctica expedition is considered one of life’s greatest travel accomplishments—and one most enjoyed by those with a healthy spirit of adventure. A relatively moderate level of exertion is required; you can expect to climb in and out of Zodiacs and walk moderate distances over uneven terrain, and on the beaches of the sub-Antarctic islands. Temperatures, while dipping as low as 30°F, feel quite temperate, thanks to sunshine and low humidity. To whet your appetite for Ross Sea and Antarctica adventure travel, we’ll mail you a reading and recommended clothing list prior to departure. We look forward to introducing you to the White Continent.
Birding, History, Photography, Wildlife & Nature