- Our Expeditions
- Expedition Travel
- Expedition Travel
- Small Ship Cruises
- Overland Adventures
- Flight Programs
- Expedition Activities
- Why Zegrahm
- Private Travel
- Traveler Info
Lapland: Home of the Sami PeopleMarch 15, 2014 - March 29, 2014
Priced from: TBD
This is a trip preview. The final itinerary, rates, expedition vessel, and leaders will be available shortly. Please let us know if you would like to be notified by email once this trip is released.
Join Zegrahm field director, Kevin Clement, on a Lapland expedition in Norway, a nation within a nation with a unique, semi-nomadic culture based on reindeer herding. Our Lapland tour is timed to coincide with excellent views of the fabled Northern Lights as well as the Sami’s annual reindeer migration and festival. Explore by boat, snowshoe, snowmobile, and even by dog sled, as we discover sheltered fjords surrounded by majestic mountain peaks, peaceful valleys, and sleepy fishing hamlets. Particular highlights of your Northern Lights expedition include stays in a hotel made entirely of ice and packed snow and in a traditional lavuu.
Lapland and Northern Lights Expedition Highlights
- Participate in the celebration of the Sami’s annual Easter Festival which includes reindeer races, cultural performances, and traditional songs known as yoiks.
- Travel by boat, snowmobile, reindeer sleigh, snowshoes, and even mush your own dog sled to discover sheltered fjords, peaceful valleys, and sleepy fishing hamlets throughout yours Lapland adventure travels.
- Witness the ethereal beauty of the Northern Lights—activity is predicted to reach an 11-year peak in 2013.
- Stay with a Sami family and learn about their culture, including the unique opportunity to sleep in a traditional Sami lavuu.
- Spend the night at the Snowhotel, constructed entirely of snow and filled with skillfully carved ice furniture and sculptures.
Culture, Hiking & Trekking, History, New Itinerary for 2013/2014, Photography, Wildlife & Nature