Lapland: Home of the Sami PeopleMarch 23, 2015 - April 6, 2015
Join Zegrahm field director, Kevin Clement, on a Lapland expedition in Norway, a nation within a nation with a unique, semi-nomadic culture based on reindeer herding. Our Lapland tour is timed to coincide with excellent views of the fabled Northern Lights. Explore by boat, snowshoe, snowmobile, and even by dog sled, as we discover sheltered fjords surrounded by majestic mountain peaks, peaceful valleys, and sleepy fishing hamlets. Particular highlights of your Northern Lights expedition include stays in a hotel made entirely of ice and packed snow and in a traditional lavvu.
- Travel by boat, snowmobile, reindeer sleigh, snowshoes, cross-country skis, and even mush your own dog sled to discover sheltered fjords, peaceful valleys, and sleepy fishing hamlets throughout your Lapland adventure travels.
- Photograph serene, snow-shrouded landscapes, colorful scenes of traditional Sami life and culture, and with luck, the ethereal Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights.
- Visit Karasjok, the cultural capital of the Norwegian Sami and enjoy a privately-guided tour of the Sami Parliament Building.
- Stay with a Sami family and learn about their culture, including the unique opportunity to sleep in a traditional Sami lavvu.
- Spend the night at the Snowhotel, constructed entirely of snow and filled with skillfully carved ice furniture and sculptures.
Culture, Hiking & Trekking, History, Photography, Wildlife & Nature