Iran: Wonders of PersiaNovember 9, 2015 - November 22, 2015
November 7, 2016 - November 20, 2016
For those seeking an authentic immersion into the art, poetry, architecture, and history of Iran, we offer our Iran: Wonders of Persia expedition. Guided by Middle East expert Gary Wintz, this Iran expedition offers an in-depth view of the turbulent and colorful history of Iran. Formerly Persia, the country’s magnificent ruins and ancient cities, architecturally astounding mosques and citadels, and savory cuisine is sure to leave a lasting impression. We also include a Tehran tour, visiting the Sa’ad Abad Palace-complex and the National Museum of Archaeology. Along the way, we may be invited into people’s homes and to family celebrations--it’s Iran adventure travel at its very best.
Iran Expedition highlights include:
- Yazd, regarded by UNESCO as one of the oldest towns on Earth and the center for the Zoroastrian faith.
- A picnic lunch under a 4,500-year-old cypress tree in Abarqu, followed by a visit to Paradises, the ancient Persian royal city-gardens.
- The countless shrines, gardens, tea houses, and bazaars of Shiraz, once famed for its vineyards of Shiraz (or Syrah) grapes.
- A hallmark of Iran adventure travel, a stop in Persepolis, rediscovered under desert sands in the early 1930s.
- The breathtaking mosque of Masjed-é Imám, formerly the Shah Mosque, covered by blue tiles and surrounded by minarets.
Archaeology, Culture, Food & Wine, History, Photography