Wild Western IndiaJanuary 2, 2016 - January 20, 2016
Join wildlife expert Mark Brazil on this Western India expedition to discover the treasures of this intriguing region. Prolific wildlife is revealed as you visit several national parks and reserves—including a Gir National Park tour and visits to Velavadar and Little Rann of Kutch. Through a variety of landscapes, from wetlands to desert, we seek unique species such as Asiatic lions, Indian wolves, and the elusive khur, a rare wild ass. Throughout this Western India adventure travel tour, birders will enjoy the impressive variety of species present at this time of year, including the beautiful demoiselle crane. We also enjoy the spectacular cultural diversity of this western region of India with visits to bustling Mumbai, traditional rural villages, and historic Jodhpur.
Western India expedition highlights:
- Search for the rare Asiatic lion in Gir National Park, considered to be one of the most important protected areas in Asia for big cats, and the elusive khur, also known as the Indian wild ass.
- Seek out some of this region’s incredible birdlife, from sandgrouses and larks to one of the world’s largest harrier roosts and huge gatherings of beautiful demoiselle cranes.
- Spend two nights at Jawai Leopard Camp, one of the best places in India to spot leopards in the wild.
- Explore a variety of habitats from the grasslands of Velavadar National Park to the saline desert of the Little Rann of Kutch, once part of the Arabian Sea.
- Tour the bustling city of Mumbai, complete with the Gateway of India, the Prince of Wales Museum, and Kamla Nehru Park.
Birding, Culture, Photography, Wildlife & Nature