Five 'Stans: Hidden Heart of Asia
This expedition has no scheduled departures at this time.
Join us as we follow in the footsteps of Marco Polo and the Silk Road merchants on this Western Asia expedition to the Five ’Stans. Gaze at river-studded plateau steppes in Kazakhstan and the snowcapped mountains of Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. Imagine camel caravans navigating around rushing rivers and silver lakes in Uzbekistan. And glimpse the wide expanse of Turkmenistan’s Karakum Desert. This is Western Asia adventure travel at its finest, capturing the outstanding scenery of the land, as well as its rich culture, from the legacy of Chinggis Khaan to Samarkand’s Islamic architecture.
Western Asia Expedition Highlights:
- Photo ops of soaring glacier-clad peaks in Tuyuk Su Gorge, a hallmark of Kazakhstan adventure travel.
- Bustling markets, exotic cuisine, pashminas, hand-woven carpets, and other countless treasures found in local bazaars.
- The Bibi Khanym Mosque, built by Tamarlane in the 14th century; its grand size pushed the limits of architectural knowledge.
- Local folkloric performances, with regional cuisine, a special part of this Western Asia travel adventure.
- Exploration of Tajikistan, the “Nepal of the ’Stans,” with over 90 percent of its land covered in high, glacier-capped peaks.
When you travel with us virtually everything is included in the cost of your trip:
- All gratuities, from porters to local guides
- All accommodations and meals, including stays at the luxurious InterContinental Almaty Hotel and President Hotel in Ashgabat
- Air transportation between Bishkek and Tashkent and within Turkmenistan
- Transfers on group arrival and departure days
- World-class expedition leader and experienced local guides
- Welcome briefing to get acquainted and get a good sense of what’s to come
- All entrance fees, park fees, and permits
- Camera fees for one still and one video camera per person
- Comprehensive pre-departure packet to prepare you for your trip, with everything from currency information and weather to local customs and a packing list
- Emergency and medical evacuation insurance
- Dedicated program manager and air coordinator to answer all of your questions
Archaeology, Culture, History, Photography