Wild Siberia: Kamchatka, Sea of Okhotsk & Sakhalin
This expedition has no scheduled departures at this time.
The expansive region bordering the Sea of Okhotsk is one of the planet’s least-explored and most remarkable destinations for untouched forests, pristine tundra, and vast amounts of wildlife. Here, you’ll find a number of whale species including orca and bowhead; basking seals and sea lions by the thousands; and millions of seabirds. Aboard the all-suite, Caledonian Sky, this Siberia expedition will take you from Kamchatka to the Kurils and then a Sea of Okhotsk tour to explore remote shores and isolated islands long closed to Westerners. Siberia adventure travelers—from birders and botanists to photographers and nature-lovers—will revel in this breathtaking environment where nature has exceeded herself, and travelers have barely started to explore.
Siberia and Sea of Okhotsk expedition highlights:
- Discover huge concentrations of seabirds in a frenzy of breeding activity—northern fulmars, puffins, guillemots, black-legged kittiwakes, auklets, and more.
- Cruise by Zodiac along rocky islets and remote shores to search for the area’s prolific marine and wildlife—including bears, Arctic foxes, seals, whales, and the mighty Steller’s sea eagle.
- Photograph a variety of stunning scenery, from smoking, snow-capped volcanoes to wildflower- studded tundra.
- Witness the “auklet haze,” an amazing spectacle on your Siberia tour where huge flocks of whiskered auklets return to their roosts en masse as dusk falls.
- Follow in the historic wake of legendary explorer, Vitus Bering, the founder of Petropavlovsk and one of the earliest Sea of Okhotsk adventure travelers.
Birding, Hiking & Trekking, Photography, Wildlife & Nature