Amazon & Peruvian Highlands
This expedition has no scheduled departures at this time.
In the company of Zegrahm field director, Kevin Clement, combine Peru’s Amazon River and pristine highlands into one comprehensive journey for the ultimate in Amazon adventure travel. Aboard the 28-guest La Estrella Amazonica you will cover more than 600 miles on the Amazon and its tributaries and travel deep into the protected Pacaya-Samiria Reserve, home to a species count of 450 birds, 102 mammals, and over 130 reptiles and amphibians. Not only will you have ample opportunities on this Amazon tour to look for monkeys, sloths, and pink and gray river dolphins, but you will also meet friendly villagers who live along the river (and will likely invite you to join in a soccer game or tour their school). Then, venture south for a Peruvian Highlands tour to admire the dramatic scenery of Lake Titicaca and the Colca Canyon.
- Cruise up the Río Ucayali, one of the best places in the world to find gray river dolphins and Amazon pink dolphins.
- Search for over 500 species of birds, such as canary-winged parakeets, blue-and-gold and scarlet macaws, and hoatzin; as well as more than 100 mammal species, such as capybaras, squirrel and red howler monkeys, and marmosets, on this Amazon expedition.
- Board local boats for a scenic cruise to Lake Titicaca’s floating island of Uros and the traditional island of Taquile, well-known for producing exquisite textiles.
- Enjoy a bird’s-eye-view of Colca Canyon, one of the world’s deepest canyons, where Andean condors are commonly sighted gliding effortlessly above the dramatic landscape, a must-see for Peruvian Highlands adventure travelers.
- Conclude your Amazon and Peruvian Highlands expedition with a tour of Lima’s highlights—Plaza de Armas, the core of the old city; the church where Francisco Pizarro is entombed; and a meticulously-maintained 16th-century mansion.
Birding, Photography, Wildlife & Nature