- Our Expeditions
- Expedition Travel
- Expedition Travel
- Small Ship Cruises
- Overland Adventures
- Flight Programs
- Expedition Activities
- Why Zegrahm
- Private Travel
- Traveler Info
Azores with Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco, Canary Islands, and Madeira
Sorry. There are no scheduled departures for this expedition.
Book this expedition along with three friends or family members and you will each receive 10% off; or if eight or more travel together, you will each receive 15% savings!
We follow in the footsteps of Christopher Columbus as we take on this Azores expedition, including a Canary Islands tour. Step ashore on the Rock of Gibraltar; delight your senses in Moroccan bazaars; and set sail for the Canaries, Madeira, and the splendid Azores. We spend two days in Morocco, visiting legendary Casablanca, Agadir, and Taroudant, often called “Little Marrakech.” Then, we bring true meaning to the term “Azores adventure travel” by navigating interior volcanic crater lakes, hiking into an unearthly cavern on Graciosa, and exploring the wild volcanic crater of Faial Island.
Azores and Canary Islands Expedition highlights include:
- Visit to tiny La Gomera Island as part of the Canary Islands tour; Columbus departed from here when crossing the vast, unknown ocean before him.
- Exploration of Tenerife, home to El Tiede, Spain’s highest peak, with a hike to the bizarre Roques de Garcia.
- Wine tasting in Funchal, Madeira, where expert viniculture techniques have produced the namesake local vintages for centuries.
- The World Heritage Site of Angra do Heroismo on Terceira Island during your Azores expedition.
- Accommodations aboard the lovely, 110-passenger Clipper Odyssey for the ultimate in expedition travel.
What to expect:
For your Canary Islands and Azores expedition, a relatively moderate level of exertion is required. When ashore, we will walk moderate distances, unaided, over rough terrain and cobblestone streets, and climb stone steps, some without hand rails. As with all Zegrahm expeditions, you will be accompanied by expert historians and naturalists, who will enlighten you on the cultural and natural riches you will encounter. Temperatures will range from 55° - 70°F on our Azores tour.
Archaeology, Birding, Culture, Food & Wine, Hiking & Trekking, History, Photography