Circumnavigation of IcelandJune 13, 2014 - June 26, 2014
Larger than life, yet just shy of Cuba’s landmass area, Iceland is a Land of Fire and Ice, natural diversity, and a hardy and hospitable population. Our Iceland adventure travel expedition makes every effort to capture the geological drama of the land, aboard the superb Island Sky, by Zodiac, by snowmobile, and on foot. We start with a Reykjavík tour, followed by the Golden Circle of Thingvellir National Park, Gullfoss Waterfall, and the Geysir Center. Tiny hamlets and fishing villages, spectacular scenery on the grandest scale, and a long medieval history—this is one of travel’s greatest adventures.
Iceland and Reykjavík Expedition Highlights:
- Meet the residents of colorful fishing villages and stroll through archaeological sites that recall the heyday of Viking exploration.
- Take an exhilarating snowmobile ride across Vatnajökull, Europe's largest glacier.
- Siglufjördur, once the herring capital of the Atlantic; visit the Herring Era Museum, former winner of European Museum of the Year.
- Inland Iceland tour to Lake Mývatn, at the edge of a lava desert and one of the world’s richest bird-life areas.
- An 11-mile cruise along Seydisfjördur, with its cascading waterfalls, soaring mountains, and brightly painted 19th-century fishing village.
Birding, Culture, Hiking & Trekking, History, Photography, Wildlife & Nature