The Fabled AdriaticSeptember 1, 2015 - September 14, 2015
This autumn odyssey through the Adriatic and Ionain seas visits historic ports and fabled shores, tracing ancient trade routes and celebrating the legacies of powerful empires. History spans the millennia here—from Paleolithic times to Roman conquest, from Byzantine rule to Venetian dominance. Discover the architectural legacies of these powerful civilizations on this Adriatic tour with visits to superb Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque palaces, monasteries, and churches. A hallmark of Adriatic adventure travel, enjoy time to follow the winding lanes in ancient town centers, pause in fountain-splashed plazas, and savor the local scene in bustling marketplaces. Photographers will appreciate the glow of afternoon sun on red-tiled rooftops, along with sweeping views of quaint harbors and dramatic promontories.
Adriatic and Croatia Adventure Travel Highlights
- Discover dramatic scenery and amazing archaeology in the lesser-visited countries of Montenegro and Albania, a focal point of this Adriatic expedition .
- Spend one full day in photogenic Dubrovnik, a beautifully-preserved medieval masterpiece on your Croatia tour.
- Tour the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Valletta, Malta’s charming capital.
- Explore the stunning Greek and Roman ruins of Syracuse, including the massive 15,000-seat theater, which is still in use today.
- Enjoy ample opportunities to explore charming seaside towns, with the chance to dine ashore on your own.
- As part your Croatia expedition visit Diocletian’s magnificent 4th-century palace in Split.
Archaeology, Culture, History