Wild & Ancient BritainMay 16, 2015 - May 30, 2015
Explore remote and isolated coastlines of the British Isles where windswept cliffs and promontories teem with some of the largest seabird colonies in Europe, all at the height of their breeding season, on this exciting British Isles tour. Walk through heather-clad moorlands and among the ruins of fortress-castles that echo the lore of the Celts and Anglo-Saxons. From the lovely sub-tropical gardens on the Isles of Scilly and the geological wonders of Giant’s Causeway to the sacred sites of the Inner Hebrides and the stark beauty of the Fair Isle, British Isles adventure travel captures the ancient spirit and wild heart of Britain.
- Witness some of Europe’s largest seabird colonies—puffins, gannets, guillemots, kittiwakes, and more, pack dramatic cliffs and rocky offshore islands on this British Isles tour.
- Visit Giant’s Causeway where some 40,000 closely-packed hexagonal columns descend like a staircase into the sea.
- Discover important Neolithic monuments on this Scotland expedition—the Standing Stones of Stenness; the Ring of Brodgar; Skara Brae, a well-preserved Stone Age village; and Maes Howe, a tomb dating from 3500 B.C.
- Meet friendly locals in quaint villages and isolated communities throughout your British Isles expedition.
- Explore a variety of architectural wonders, from Mousa’s Iron Age broch and 12th-century Iona Abbey to the magnificent St. Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall, a must-see on any Scotland tour.
Archaeology, Birding, History, Wildlife & Nature