- Our Expeditions
- Expedition Travel
- Expedition Travel
- Small Ship Cruises
- Overland Adventures
- Flight Programs
- Expedition Activities
- Why Zegrahm
- Private Travel
- Traveler Info
Madagascar: The Eighth ContinentJuly 7, 2014 - July 25, 2014
Priced from: TBD
This is a trip preview. The final itinerary, rates, expedition vessel, and leaders will be available shortly. Please let us know if you would like to be notified by email once this trip is released.
A must for nature-lovers, Madagascar adventure travel is ripe with botanicals, birds, and land animals, including the island’s icon—lemurs. The island’s isolation and size (it’s the world’s fourth-largest island) has made for striking biodiversity: 90 percent of all forest flora is endemic and more than half of the 250-plus bird species are found nowhere else. Our special Madagascar expedition takes you where few others have ventured before, and rewards your curiosity with exotic plants and animals, from pygmy stump-tailed chameleons to 1,000 varieties of orchid. As we journey from mountain highlands to the shores of the Indian Ocean, we’ll also meet the lovely Malagasy people, at whose warmth and friendliness you’ll marvel.
Madagascar Adventure Travel Highlights:
- Meet the “world’s gaudiest reptile,” the male panther chameleon, found during our cruise through the private forest reserve of Andrifotra.
- Ten species of lemur, mongoose, the Madagascar red owl, the serpent eagle, and more on the Masoala Peninsula.
- Some of the best birding on any Madagascar tour, in Périnet Reserve, where you’ll glimpse the Madagascar paradise-flycatcher and the brilliant blue vanga.
- Overland tour to Ankarana Special Reserve with its dramatic cave system and vast network of underground rivers.
- Time for a Johannesburg tour at beginning and end of our Madagascar expedition; relax at the hotel or shop at the local artisans’ market.
When you travel with Zegrahm Expeditions virtually everything is included in the cost of your Madagascar tour:
- All accommodations and meals with the group
- Daily activity options, from nature hikes to temple visits
- All gratuities, from porters to tour guides
- Company of an experienced expedition leader throughout
- All transfers on the group arrival and departure days
- Welcome briefing to get acquainted and get a good sense of what’s to come
- All park fees and permits
- Comprehensive pre-departure packet to prepare you for your trip, with everything from currency information and weather to local customs and a packing list to prepare you for your Madagascar expedition
- Medical and emergency evacuation insurance
- Dedicated program manager and air coordinator to answer all of your questions
Birding, Hiking & Trekking, Photography, Wildlife & Nature