Wild Southern IndiaJanuary 1, 2015 - January 17, 2015
The legendary beauty, abundant wildlife, and fascinating culture of Southern India are the focus of this new itinerary developed by long-time Zegrahm field leader and expert naturalist, Mark Brazil. Stay in opulent hotels that exude colonial elegance and rustic lodges set in lush wilderness, plus spend two nights aboard a luxurious Oberoi houseboat, the ultimate way to experience Kerala adventure travel. Search for India’s iconic wildlife on foot, during lake and river cruises, by 4x4 vehicle, and even by elephant back. And, on your Bandipur National Park tour, search for the over 200 bird species recorded here. With explorations of colonial Cochin, fragrant spice plantations, and the languid Kerala backwaters, hailed as “God’s own country,” you will experience an exotic blend of this region’s many treasures.
- Join Mark Brazil on a brand-new expedition that reveals southern India’s amazing wealth of birds and wildlife, plus a good dose of local culture.
- Explore three national parks—Bandipur, Periyar, and Nagarhole which protect many endangered species, including the Asiatic leopard, gaur, and sloth bear.
- Seek out the red-headed vultures, Indian rollers, crested serpent eagles, and brown fish owls on your Bandipur National Park expedition.
- Board local boats for a leisurely cruise along the backwaters of Kerala to observe the rhythms of daily life on your Kerala tour.
- Stroll through Cochin’s ancient streets to observe grand colonial edifices and savor the sights and smells of the bustling market.
Birding, Photography, Wildlife & Nature