- Our Expeditions
- Expedition Travel
- Expedition Travel
- Small Ship Cruises
- Overland Adventures
- Flight Programs
- Expedition Activities
- Why Zegrahm
- Private Travel
- Traveler Info
Circumnavigation of Sumatra
Sorry. There are no scheduled departures for this expedition.
Travelers set out from Singapore to discover the natural wonders and unique cultures of Indonesia’s largest island—Sumatra. After visiting the World Heritage Site of Malacca, Malaysia, search for wildlife in Gunung Leuser National Park, known for its thriving orangutan population. Cultural encounters during your Sumatra expedition include a visit to a museum commemorating the victims of the 2004 tsunami; a thrilling stone jumping ceremony, where local athletes leap over six-foot-tall megaliths; and a demonstration of ikat weaving. Venture out for authentic Sumatra adventure travel aboard Zodiacs to explore remote, palm-shaded shores where travelers may search for endemic birds and wildlife. Additional highlights of your Indonesia tour include witnessing energetic dances accompanied by traditional music in seldom-visited villages, cruising past infamous Krakatoa Island, and discovering the hidden delights of Java’s forests in Ujung Kulon National Park.
Sumatra Expedition Highlights:
- Visit the World Heritage Site of Malacca; its varied architecture and Ethnographical Museum showcase centuries of history, making it a must-see on any Indonesia tour.
- Search for wild orangutans and numerous bird species at Gunung Leuser National Park as part of your Sumatra adventure travel experience.
- Meet the friendly locals who proudly share Sumatra’s diverse mélange of cultural traditions, including stone jumping, ikat weaving, and numerous music and dance performances.
- Explore remote shores and serene waterways to discover unique wildlife and endemic birds.
- Discover the dense forests of Ujung Kulon National Park and cruise by still-active Krakatoa Volcano, a favorite site of Sumatra expedition travelers.
With Zegrahm Expeditions, virtually everything is included in the cost of your Sumatra tour:
- All gratuities, from porters and ship’s crew to tour guides
- All accommodations, including pre-voyage hotel nights
- Welcome dinner and orientation briefing to get to know one another and get a good sense of what’s to come
- Daily activity options, from orangutan spotting to ikat weaving
- World-class lecture and expedition team
- All meals onboard and with the group ashore
- All entrance fees, taxes, and landing and port charges
- All transfers on the group arrival and departure days
- Gift certificates for recommended Indonesia expedition gear and reading materials
- Comprehensive pre-departure packet to prepare you for your Sumatra and Indonesia adventure travel, with everything from currency information and weather to shipboard amenities and a packing list
- Medical and emergency evacuation insurance
- Dedicated Zegrahm program manager and air coordinator to answer all your questions
- Photographic journal upon returning home to relive your Indonesia tour
Birding, Culture, Hiking & Trekking, Snorkeling & Diving, Wildlife & Nature