Oman: Jewel of the Arabian GulfMarch 19, 2015 - April 3, 2015
A land of timeless myth and magic, of enchanting landscapes and legendary hospitality, Oman adventure travel offers a unique journey in the Arab world. Experience the legacies of seafaring history—5,000 years in the making—as you explore the major port cities of Muscat and Salalah and observe the time-honored craftsmanship of dhow ship builders on this Arabian Sea expedition. Follow ancient caravan routes across desert sands, and witness the traditions of daily village life. Trace the timeline of a rich architectural history, from millennia-old tombs to mud-brick fortresses to gleaming marble mosques. And discover the wealth of Oman’s natural wonders, from the nesting beaches of green sea turtles to venerable frankincense orchards, and from wildlife-rich subtropical forests to serene date palm oases.
- Discover the splendid architecture of Muscat, and modern architecture, and visit the stunning complex of the Sultan Qaboos Mosque, on this Oman tour.
- Explore three UNESCO World Heritage Sites: The Land of Frankincense; the Archaeological Sites of the Bat Tombs; and the Aflaj Irrigation System.
- Watch locals barter for livestock in the bustling cattle market, a highlight of Arabian Sea adventure travel.
- Photograph Oman’s unique landscapes from golden dunes to frankincense orchards.
- Observe the endangered green sea turtles lay their eggs in the Indian Ocean sands during a nighttime excursion.
- Spend three days in southern Oman, exploring seaside Salalah and its surrounding mountain regions.
- Visit Nizwa, Oman’s ancient capital, and tour two ancient fortresses.
Archaeology, Culture, History