The Philippines tourism board has a slogan, “It’s more fun in the Philippines!”—and I could not agree more! Never have I encountered people so warm and welcoming as in the Philippines. Add this to an island-hopping transect north through Taiwan, and Japan’s volcanic Ryukyu Islands, and we have a fascinating trip loaded with cultural and wildlife diversity.
Asia's Subtropical Isles: Philippines, Taiwan & Japan
- Experience warm welcomes and legendary Filipino hospitality as you visit remote islands and cultural heritage sites to learn about daily life and local traditions.
- Witness the cultural melting pot of vibrant Taipei, as well as Taiwan's "wild side" in beautiful Taroko National Park.
- Snorkel or dive in the crystal-clear waters surrounding Japan's remote and seldom-visited southern islands, home to a variety of colorful marine life.
- Photograph the iconic scarlet tori of Miyajima; this giant camphor-wood gate is a World Heritage Site and sacred site of pilgrimage that appears to float in the surrounding waters during high tide.
- Discover the cultural treasures of Kyoto; this well-preserved cultural gem was the imperial capital of Japan for over one thousand years.
The all-suite, 100-guest Caledonian Sky is a spacious, yet intimate, expedition vessel. Refurbished in 2012, her beautifully designed public spaces include a single-seating dining room, a large lounge with piano, elegant bar, enclosed panoramic viewing deck, sun deck, library, and small gym. All suites have an ocean view and feature a sitting room, en suite bathroom, flat screen television, spacious wardrobes, and dressing table. The Caledonian Sky carries a fleet of Zodiacs, available for accessing remote shorelines and islands and is equipped to offer scuba diving.
Trip Preparation: Gear Up!
When watersports and Zodiac expeditions are on the itinerary, it pays to keep your valuable camera gear high and dry. This guaranteed 100% waterproof camera case works up to a depth of 15 feet and is made with an ultra-clear LENZFLEX material that allows for high-quality shots right through the case.