I love the remoteness of the Kimberley, particularly as we sail its magnificent coastline. There is simply no other way to see this part of an ancient landscape, and most Australians would give their eye teeth to see it! I never tire of being in the Kimberley.
Australia's Kimberley: A Voyage to the Outback
- Fly via helicopter to explore the dramatic gorges of Mitchell Plateau and swim in the crystal-clear pools above photogenic Mitchell Falls.
- Discover Australia’s unique wildlife—rock wallabies, turtles, and mighty saltwater crocodiles.
- Step ashore on the Tiwi Islands for a guided bush walk that reveals the cultural traditions of the Tiwi people, and view well-preserved Aboriginal paintings at Raft Point and Bigge Island.
- View the amazing spectacle of the Horizontal Falls, created by massive tidal currents.
- Travel with James Fitzsimons, the Director of Conservation for The Nature Conservancy, Australia, and learn about projects that are underway to help indigenous tribes in Australia’s Kimberley oversee the preservation of four massive new protected areas.
The 65-guest Coral Discoverer was launched in 2005 and refurbished in 2016. Her small size is perfect for regional exploration. She carries Zodiacs, as well as a powerful excursion boat that can carry all guests for tours ashore. A spacious lounge, equipped with two large plasma TV screens, is ideal for lectures. All staterooms offer an ocean view. The dining room features the finest fresh seafood of the region and a comprehensive selection of Australian and New Zealand wines.
Australia’s last frontier is a wild land of remote, spectacular scenery spread over huge distances, with a severe climate, a sparse population, and minimal infrastructure. Traveling here is a true adventure as you view towering escarpments, undulating woodlands, spectacular waterways, mangrove-covered tidal flats, and forests rich in flora and fauna. Visit important Aboriginal sites and sleepy outposts to learn about life in this unforgiving, yet ultimately beautiful land.
Trip Preparation: Gear Up!
Keep the bugs at bay with this handy mosquito heat net, which fits comfortably over most headwear. Your views of the Kimberley’s Mitchell Falls and incredible birdlife are kept unhindered thanks to a fine mesh outer layer that keeps out mosquitoes and other small insects. No more swatting those pesky critters away from your face and eyes!