This trip made history come alive—excellent lectures covering the Hanseatic and Viking periods with opportunities to visit the cities involved. This type of 'learning' is typical of Zegrahm Expeditions!
Best of the Baltic
- Discover the scenic beauty of Bornholm Island, graced with rolling countryside, charming villages, unique round churches, and the impressive ruins of Hammershus Castle.
- Step ashore in beautiful Visby; a World Heritage Site, this city of ‘roses and ruins’ was once the trading center of the Hanseatic League.
- Tour the historic districts of Gdansk, Riga, and Tallinn, which feature a treasure-trove of architectural styles.
- Spend two days in St. Petersburg—the Venice of the North—and enjoy a guided tour of the Hermitage Museum, Peterhof, and other important sites.
- Enjoy a daylight transit of the 61-mile Kiel Canal, a fascinating example of 19th-century engineering.
Built in 1992 and recently refurbished, the Island Sky is a comfortable and contemporary expedition vessel. Public spaces include a large lounge, elegant bar with piano, library stocked with fiction and reference books along with a selection of games, and a single-seating dining room. Outside decks feature a bar, and a sun deck where meals are served in pleasant weather. All suites feature ocean views, a sitting area, en suite bathroom, large wardrobes, small refrigerator, and television.
Trip Preparation: Gear Up!
Plane tickets? Check. Camera? Check. Convertible, all-purpose pants? Check. Pack a couple pairs of these zip-off pants-to-shorts designed for adventure, activity, and comfortable (and stylish!) lounging. They’re quick drying, lightweight, and pack small so they won’t take up valuable luggage space.