We reserved a cabin on the Black Sea expedition with great anticipation—anticipation that was fulfilled beyond our expectations! A wide variety of explorations and venues made each day invigorating and filled with piqued curiosity.
Circumnavigation of the Black Sea
- Archaeological sites, including a cliffside monastery in Turkey and the fabled site of Histria in Romania.
- Turkey tour, including Istanbul’s historic Sultanahmet District, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as well as the 17th-century Blue Mosque.
- Sochi, Russia, a mineral-spring resort community with a subtropical climate and site of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
- The largest Roman ruins in Bulgaria, the 2nd-century Roman thermae, or public baths.
- Accommodations aboard our small ship allow us to visit remote ports and hidden gems during our Black Sea tour.
Turkey’s Cappadocia region is a land of striking volcanic terrain marked by thousands of pyramid-shaped rock spires. Throughout the centuries, Cappadocia’s inhabitants have carved their homes and churches in these columns and in caves, creating tunnels and chambers in the rock. This pre-voyage extension highlights the region’s cultural treasures, beautiful vistas, and fascinating history. You will also enjoy additional time to explore Istanbul, Turkey’s magnificent cultural, political, and commercial center.
Trip Preparation: Gear Up!
Designed to withstand the ups and downs of the mercury throughout your Black Sea exploration—from a windy cliffside monastery in Turkey to the mineral-spring resort of Sochi, Russia—this moisture-wicking, stretchy-for-comfort, wind-resistant jacket just may be your most-worn piece of travel clothing.