The breadth and depth of our staff's capabilities was wonderful—from real time identification of plants and animals to the local history of our destinations, we were well informed and taken care of.
Circumnavigation of the Black Sea
- Archaeological sites, including a cliffside monastery in Turkey and the fabled site of Histria in Romania.
- Turkey tour, including Istanbul’s historic Sultanahmet District, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as well as the 17th-century Blue Mosque.
- Sochi, Russia, a mineral-spring resort community with a subtropical climate and site of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
- The largest Roman ruins in Bulgaria, the 2nd-century Roman thermae, or public baths.
- Accommodations aboard our small ship allow us to visit remote ports and hidden gems during our Black Sea tour.
Turkey’s Cappadocia region is a land of striking volcanic terrain marked by thousands of pyramid-shaped rock spires. Throughout the centuries, Cappadocia’s inhabitants have carved their homes and churches in these columns and in caves, creating tunnels and chambers in the rock. This pre-voyage extension highlights the region’s cultural treasures, beautiful vistas, and fascinating history. You will also enjoy additional time to explore Istanbul, Turkey’s magnificent cultural, political, and commercial center.
Trip Preparation: Gear Up!
Designed to withstand the ups and downs of the mercury throughout your Black Sea exploration—from a windy cliffside monastery in Turkey to the mineral-spring resort of Sochi, Russia—this moisture-wicking, stretchy-for-comfort, wind-resistant jacket just may be your most-worn piece of travel clothing.