The staff was outstanding—planning, explaining, participating, everything worked out with good humor and flexibility. The excursions provided a variety of experiences; the overall expedition was fun and we learned a lot!
Circumnavigation of the Black Sea
Just Announced: $1,000 Air Credit
Enjoy an air credit of up to $1,000 per person for new bookings on this expedition—contact our office to learn more!
- Visit Istanbul’s 16th-century Rustem Pasha Mosque and shop for exotic treasures at the vibrant Spice Bazaar.
- Enjoy an energetic performance of traditional dances in Georgia while sampling local wines.
- Explore the grand city of Odessa, with splendid examples of elegant 18th- and 19th-century architecture, including a tour of the magnificent Opera House.
- Cruise through the winding canals of the Danube River Delta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Biosphere Reserve, as we search for over 200 species of birds.
- Tour Safranbolu, an important center of saffron production and stopover for Silk Road caravans—this UNESCO World Heritage Center boasts a wealth of well-preserved Ottoman architecture.
Built in 1992 and recently refurbished, the Island Sky is a comfortable and contemporary expedition vessel. Public spaces include a large lounge, elegant bar with piano, library stocked with fiction and reference books along with a selection of games, and a single-seating dining room. Outside decks feature a bar, spa pool, and a sun deck where meals are served in pleasant weather. All suites feature ocean views, a sitting area, en suite bathroom, large wardrobes, small refrigerator, and television.
Turkey’s Cappadocia region is a land of striking volcanic terrain marked by thousands of pyramid-shaped rock spires. Throughout the centuries, Cappadocia’s inhabitants have carved their homes and churches in these columns and in caves, creating tunnels and chambers in the rock. This pre-voyage extension highlights the region’s cultural treasures, beautiful vistas, and fascinating history. You will also enjoy additional time to explore Istanbul, Turkey’s magnificent cultural, political, and commercial center.
Trip Preparation: Gear Up!
Designed to withstand the ups and downs of the mercury throughout your Black Sea exploration—from a windy cliffside monastery in Turkey to the mineral-spring resort of Sochi, Russia—this moisture-wicking, stretchy-for-comfort, wind-resistant jacket just may be your most-worn piece of travel clothing.