The vegetation, wildlife, and landscapes of New Zealand's sub-Antarctic islands are strikingly varied, and this exciting expedition transects through it all! Stewart Island’s lack of introduced mammalian predators make it perhaps THE best place to see the intact avifauna of the South Island, while sitting with nesting southern royal albatrosses at Campbell Island reveals the massive size of these great Southern Ocean seabirds. But the highlight may be stepping ashore at Macquarie Island, with its king and royal penguin colonies.
Sub-Antarctic Islands of New Zealand
Just Announced: $1,000 Air Credit
Enjoy an air credit of up to $1,000 per person for new bookings on this expedition—contact our office to learn more!
- Observe eight species of penguins including colonies of king, royal, rockhopper, and gentoo penguins, plus several albatross species—wandering, black-browed, gray-headed, light-mantled sooty, and northern and southern royal.
- Visit the sub-Antarctic islands of Macquarie, Campbell, Auckland, and The Snares—Zegrahm is among a small, exclusive number of operators that hold permits to travel to these far-flung isles.
- Search the elfin forests for handsome yellow-eyed penguins, melodious bellbirds, diminutive tomtits, and colorful red-crowned parakeets.
- Cruise through Milford, Dusky, and Doubtful sounds, a supremely scenic land of soaring cliffs and plunging waterfalls.
- Travel with Dr. Michael Looker, The Nature Conservancy’s Country Director for New Zealand, and learn about important conservation projects throughout Australasia and the Southern Ocean.
The all-suite, 100-guest Caledonian Sky is a spacious, yet intimate, expedition vessel. Refurbished in 2012, her beautifully designed public spaces include a single-seating dining room, a large lounge with piano, elegant bar, enclosed panoramic viewing deck, sun deck, library, and small gym. All suites have an ocean view and feature a sitting room, en suite bathroom, flat screen television, spacious wardrobes, and dressing table. The Caledonian Sky carries a fleet of Zodiacs, available for accessing remote shorelines and islands and is equipped to offer scuba diving.
Trip Preparation: Gear Up!
The winds may be whipping and icebergs may be calving right off the bow of your expedition-worthy ship, yet you’ll be toasty and dry inside your windproof, water-resistant Nano Puff® jacket. It fits effortlessly between layers and packs incredibly small—perfect for the adventuresome traveler.