This expedition offered rich rewards on multiple dimensions—snorkeling and diving, ethnography and culture, dozens of endemic birds. All from a comfortable platform interpreted by leading researchers.
Tahiti to Easter Island: Marquesas, Tuamotus & Pitcairns
- Photograph the exquisite Marquesas with their sky-piercing volcanoes, lushly-carpeted canyons, and chiseled bays.
- View Easter Island’s giant volcanic stone statues, or moai—their original purpose, lost through time, is one of the world’s great archaeological mysteries.
- Meet the residents of tiny Pitcairn Island; most are direct descendants of the HMS Bounty crew.
- Visit Henderson and Ducie Islands, home to rare and endemic bird species, from Murphy’s and Phoenix petrels to the Henderson Island crake and Stephen’s lorikeet.
- Enjoy excellent snorkeling and diving nearly every day to discover healthy reefs teeming with colorful, tropical fish.
- Step ashore to exuberant welcomes, from the traditional blowing of conch shell “trumpets” to graceful dancers and energetic drummers adorned in tapa cloth and fragrant flower leis.
- Save 5% when you combine with Faces of Polynesia!
The all-suite, 100-guest Caledonian Sky is a spacious, yet intimate, expedition vessel. Refurbished in 2012, her beautifully designed public spaces include a single-seating dining room, a large lounge with piano, elegant bar, enclosed panoramic viewing deck, sun deck, library, and small gym. All suites have an ocean view and feature a sitting room, en suite bathroom, flat screen television, spacious wardrobes, and dressing table. The Caledonian Sky carries a fleet of Zodiacs, available for accessing remote shorelines and islands and is equipped to offer scuba diving.
Trip Preparation: Gear Up!
The kaleidoscopic marine life of the South Pacific will have you in the water for hours at a time, marveling at their beauty. Don’t worry a wit about your skin, as this UPF 50-rated rashguard promises to protect you from the sun and even the occasional run-in with “stingy things.” Later, load up your gear in your nylon snorkeling/fin bag, with ample room for fins, snorkel, mask, towel, and sunscreen.