This expedition offered rich rewards on multiple dimensions—snorkeling and diving, ethnography and culture, dozens of endemic birds. All from a comfortable platform interpreted by leading researchers.
Tahiti to Easter Island: Marquesas, Tuamotus & Pitcairns
- Visit Henderson and Ducie Islands, home to rare and endemic bird species, from Murphy’s and Phoenix petrels and red-tailed tropicbirds to the Henderson Island crake and Stephen’s lorikeet.
- Meet the residents of tiny Pitcairn Island, most are direct descendants of the HMS Bounty crew.
- On your Easter Island adventure travel tour, view giant volcanic stone statues, or moai—their original purpose, lost through the millennia, is one of the world’s great archaeological mysteries.
- Enjoy excellent snorkeling and diving nearly every day to discover healthy reefs teeming with colorful, tropical fish.
- Throughout your Tahiti, Easter Island, and Marquesas adventure travels, step ashore to exuberant welcomes, from the traditional blowing of conch shell “trumpets” to graceful dancers and energetic drummers adorned in tapa cloth and fragrant flower leis.
The all-suite, 100-guest Caledonian Sky is a spacious, yet intimate, expedition vessel. Refurbished in 2012, her beautifully designed public spaces include a single-seating dining room, a large lounge with piano, elegant bar, enclosed panoramic viewing deck, sun deck, library, and small gym. All suites have an ocean view and feature a sitting room, en suite bathroom, flat screen television, spacious wardrobes, and dressing table. The Caledonian Sky carries a fleet of Zodiacs, available for accessing remote shorelines and islands and is equipped to offer scuba diving.
The kaleidoscopic marine life of the South Pacific will have you in the water for hours at a time, marveling at their beauty. Don’t worry a wit about your skin, as this UPF 50-rated rashguard promises to protect you from the sun and even the occasional run-in with “stingy things.” Later, load up your gear in your nylon snorkeling/fin bag, with ample room for fins, snorkel, mask, towel, and sunscreen.