Tibet & Nepal: Heart of the Himalayas
- Explore important cultural landmarks in Lhasa, including the 1,300-year-old Jokhang Temple; Drepung Monastery, Tibet’s largest; and the magnificent Potala Palace, former home of the Dalai Lama.
- Search for abundant wildlife in the subtropical forests of Bardiya National Park in Nepal, home to elephants, rhinos, swamp deer, mugger crocodiles, and a huge variety of bird life.
- Take an awe-inspiring flightseeing tour over the legendary peaks of the Himalayas.
- Savor the dramatic scenery of Pokhara—surrounded by some of the world’s highest mountains—as you enjoy hikes to view Nepal’s second-largest lake, a plunging waterfall, and the sacred Gupteswar Cave.
- Visit Tsedang, regarded as the cradle of Tibetan civilization, to view the country’s oldest Buddhist monastery, the first palace, and the tombs of early Tibetan kings.
- Drive form Lhasa to Shigaste through two mountain passes, enjoying incredible views at the highest altitude of the trip.
Trip Preparation: Gear Up!
The temps will dip and rise in the heart of the Himalayas, as you tour thousand-year-old temples and drive through high-altitude mountain passes to Shigaste. Keep warm and dry in this windproof, water-resistant, highly compressible jacket, excellent by itself or as an extra layer for those chilly mornings.