We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Romania! With Ron Wixman's inexhaustible supply of historic facts, anecdotes, and human interest stories, we got as complete an image as one possibly could in two weeks.
Transylvania: A Journey through Romania & Hungary
- Discover Romania’s time-honored traditions with visits to folk and ethnography museums, spirited music and dance performances, and local folk art.
- Stroll through lovely Sibiu, where streets lined with Gothic arcades, Renaissance houses, and Baroque churches lead into the beautifully-preserved medieval center.
- Visit the churches of the Maramures Valley; their characteristic tall, wooden steeples have earned them World Heritage status.
- View the exquisite frescoes of Voronet, built in 1488 and often hailed as the “Sistine Chapel of the East.”
- Explore infamous Bran Castle, used by Vlad the Impaler (later transformed by Stoker into Count Dracula), as a head-quarters for his incursions into Transylvania.
Trip Preparation: Gear Up!
When your days include tours of Renaissance castles and medieval ruins, you’ll want to pack for adventure—fit it all in with this sturdy, soft-sided Eagle Creek rolling duffel. Its large oversized wheels roll easily over ancient cobblestone streets and a sturdy pull handle and removable shoulder strap make for easy navigation from taxi to hotel to airport.